Comprehensive training, solid theoretical knowledge and innumerable practical activities. The Institute of Biosciences of the University of São Paulo (IB/USP) has an excellent faculty and infrastructure to provide a superior education in life sciences. Created in 1969, IB/USP concentrates the undergraduate course in Biological Sciences and five graduate programs, which integrate teaching basic and specialized courses in Biology and performing lab practices and ground-breaking research. The infrastructure of the Institute contributes to its academic excellence: multimedia, modern laboratories for microscopy and anatomy, herbarium, xylotheque, apiary, and the center for study of the Human Genome assure direct contact with the scientific methodology.
Research at IB/USP includes a wide range of disciplines in biological sciences, distributed within five Departments: Botany, Ecology, Genetics and Evolutionary Biology, Physiology and Zoology. Innovative research is performed, often in collaboration with scientists and research institutions around the world, and published in high impact, internationally awarded scientific journals.
Regarding outcome to society, IB/USP promotes countless activities in different areas of Biology: elaboration of didactic material, guided tours, specialized courses for public school teachers, scientiﬁc advising and genetic counseling services. The Institute is deeply committed to developing outstanding programs, facilities and laboratories in order to train the future generations of biologists and scientists of related disciplines.
The Institute’s mission is to produce knowledge of biological sciences through innovative research, to apply this knowledge to benefit the environment and society and to train biologists for the future, engaged in building a sustainable world.
The departments of Genetics and Evolutionary Biology, Botany, Physiology and Zoology had been first established in 1934 on the foundations of the previous School of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters, which was founded simultaneously with the University of São Paulo. In 1969, during the process of University Reform, biology was reorganized and these Departments were incorporated in the newly founded Institute of Biosciences. In 1970, aside from members of the referred Departments, professors of related subjects from other schools were incorporated, especially botanists from the former School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, and geneticists from the School of Medicine.
Along with the four initial Departments, the University Council created the Department of General Ecology in 1976, by including the faculty members of IB/USP that focused on ecological studies. The current undergraduate course of Biological Sciences offered by the Institute traces its origins in the Natural History curriculum from the former School of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters, and has a sustained tradition of research, initiated in the Departments back in 1934 by its founders. IB/USP occupies an area of 129,492.07 m2 and represents a center of excellence in education and generation of scientific knowledge.